As we are all well aware, the shelves in our supermarkets tend to run low on key essentials just when you need them most. By this point, we all understand the importance of washing and sanitizing our hands and home, but what if there isn’t any sanitizer available and the store shelves are empty? Don’t fret, this article will teach you how to safely make and mix your own hand sanitizer. Please remember that the misuse of these products could result in skin irritation, burns or the inhalation of dangerous chemicals. Properly mixing the correct amount of the ingredients will ensure safety while using this product. Also be sure to create your sanitizer on a sterilized, clean surface in your home and wash your own hands before creating the mixture. This is not considered safe for all ages. Children are more likely to misuse this product, resulting in skin irritation.
As you create your mixture do not touch the ingredients with your hands until they are completely mixed.
This hand sanitizer includes the following ingredients:
- 3/4 cup of 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera (for moisture while using harsh products)
- 10 drops of essential oil (lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, etc.) *You can also use lemon juice as an alternative to essential oils
Some of your questions probably include the effectiveness of this mixture/product. The answers lie within the correct proportions of ingredients (following the guidelines above) and the knowledge of the proper way to utilize your mixture. Below are steps to take while using your homemade hand sanitizer.
- Make sure you apply a small amount to only ONE palm. Two is overkill for a powerful chemical like rubbing alcohol.
- Rub your mixture in between both hands for up to 60 seconds or until your hands are dry.
- Remember that it can take 60 seconds for this sanitizer to kill the germs on your hands.
Remember to also continue to wash your hands. We all must do our part in protecting ourselves, and the ones we love. This sanitizer is an quick and easy DIY solution and is effective in killing viruses such as COVID-19.
Stay safe! Stay clean! Mantain your distance!
And we will all get through this, together.